Tired of the same old oatmeal? Overnight oats just not cutting it anymore? Why not try this savory play on oatmeal!! MFP comes through again!!!
Sweet Spice-Roasted Butternut Squash Oatmeal
- 2 1/2 cups (600 ml) peeled and cubed (1/2-inch) butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt, divided
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup (240 ml) low-fat milk or unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) orange zest, finely grated
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) walnuts, toasted and chopped
Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). On a parchment-lined baking sheet, toss the squash, oil, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Arrange in an even layer. Roast until squash is tender when pierced with a fork, 20 minutes. The roasted squash can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave before serving.
In a medium saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups water, milk and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the oats and reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, until the oats are tender, 12 minutes. Stir in the maple syrup and orange zest. Divide among 4 bowls. Top with warm squash and walnuts.
Serves: 4 | Serving size: 3/4 cup oatmeal, 1/3 cup roasted squash, 2 tablespoons walnuts