Here’s a great looking fall recipe I found from pinchmegood.com! Let me know how it tastes after you make it! I can’t wait to make it myself!! Enjoy!
- 2 whole butternut squash – 2-2.5 pounds each
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock or white wine – to deglaze the pan if needed
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 small apple diced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Shredded parmesan cheese – optional
- Prep and roast the squash. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Slice the butternut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and discard them. Drizzle the squash with a little olive oil and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Place the squash cut side up onto a baking sheet and cook it for 40-45 minutes until a sharp knife can easily be inserted into the center of the squash. Remove and let cool.
- Make the sausage and apple filling. Heat a skillet to medium-high heat, add some olive oil to the pan then add the sausage and break it up with a spoon or spatula as it cooks. Once the meat is no longer pink add in the onions, celery and garlic. Toss and cook that for a few minutes then add in the fresh herbs, spinach and stock if needed to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Cook until the spinach is wilted. Remove the pan from the heat and add in the diced apples, cranberries and pecans and toss that all together.
- Fill the squash. Scoop out the flesh of the squash leaving a 1/2-3/4 inch border around the edge of the squash and about 2.5 inches from the bottom. You can use the extra squash for soup or mashed butternut squash. Divide the sausage and apple filling evenly between the halves of squash. If desired, top with a little sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Place the squash back into the oven and brown the top for about 10 minutes.
- Serve. Remove, let cool and serve hot.