Since we gave you hearty soups to begin 2022, let’s add a great stew that is also vegan! Here’s a recipe from jessicainthekitchen.com that is sure to make anyone happy!!
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1/2 large red onion minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon to 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or any sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce or liquid aminos/gluten free tamari/coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 cups dry green lentils rinsed and picked over
- 1 13.4 ounce can of coconut milk (full fat or lite) (383g)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tablespoons sambal oelek or Sriracha (optional, for heat)
- In a pan over medium-high heat, heat the sesame oil. Add in the minced ginger and curry paste to fry it, stirring into the oil, for about 1 minute.
- Add in the chopped onion and the garlic and cook until the onion is slightly translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Place the sea salt, black pepper, coconut sugar, and liquid aminos on top and stir everything together. Add in the lentils and stir again.
- Add in the coconut milk and the veggie broth. Bring the soup to a boil and then lower to a simmer, allowing to simmer for about 30 to 40 minutes, until your lentils
are fully cooked through. Stir the stew occasionally. You can let it simmer even more if desired.
- Squeeze the lime over, stir, and then remove from heat. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Add in any of the optional add-ins/toppings. Stir in the sambal oelek (or Sriracha) or scotch bonnet pepper sauce if using.
Suggestions for ways to enjoy:
Over a plate of rice
With some fresh bread
With some Vegan Naan Bread
You could transform it into a wrap, into tacos