These can be a great alternative to traditional hash browns or even used as a vegetarian pattie! Don’t forget to see the tips at the end! Enjoy!
- 5 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, shredded (about 2 1/2 medium carrots)
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini, shredded (about 1/2 large zucchini)
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 2 stalks green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Heat water in a medium saucepan over high heat. When water boils, add carrots and zucchini and cook for 3–4 minutes. Drain the vegetable mixture in a strainer, and run under cold water for 1 minute. Pat dry with paper towels, getting as much water out as you can.
- TIME-SAVING HACK: Can’t wait for water to boil? You can put the carrot and zucchini into a bowl and microwave for about 2 minutes. Then pat dry with paper towels.
- Put the vegetable mixture into a bowl, along with flour, cheese, salt, pepper, chili powder, green onions and eggs. Stir mixture until well combined. Portion out fritter mixture using a 1/4 cup–size measuring cup, and roll into a ball. Set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Put 1 tablespoon oil into the skillet, and allow oil to heat. Then add 3 balls of fritter mixture to the pan and flatten with spatula. Cook the fritters, 4–5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Repeat once more with the second batch for a total of 6 fritters.
- If you have leftover broccoli stalks and don’t know what to do with them, grate and use them instead of zucchini.
- Top with 1/4 cup reduced-fat Greek yogurt to add calories and protein.
- Serve with 1/4 medium avocado to up calories and good fats.