I found this great recipe from the minimalist baker that is simply amazing! Who doesn’t love tacos? Add black beans and plantains and you’ve got the sexiest taco around!! Bring a different energy to Taco Tuesday!!!
Spicy Plantain Black Bean Tacos
- 2 very ripe large plantains* (peeled and cut on an angle into 1/4-inch slices)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar (plus more to taste)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1 15-ounce can black beans (if unsalted, add more salt)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne (or chili powder)
- 8-10 yellow or white corn tortillas or taco shells
FOR SERVING (optional)
- 1 medium jalapeño (seeds removed and sliced)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 medium red onion (diced)
- Hot sauce / salsa
- Lime juice
- Add black beans to a small saucepan over medium heat and add spices. Once it reaches a low boil, turn heat to low to keep warm, stirring occasionally.
- Peel and chop plantains and heat a large metal or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add plantains to a mixing bowl and toss with spices.
- Once pan is hot, add coconut oil and plantains and spread into a single layer. Sauté on one side for 2-3 minutes, then flip and sauté on the other side for 2-3 minutes more. Turn down heat if browning too quickly. You’re going for a caramelized effect. Set aside.
- In the meantime, prep desired toppings and warm tortillas by wrapping in a damp cloth or paper towel and warming in the microwave for 20 seconds (or place tortillas directly on an oven rack for 1-2 minutes in a 350-degree F (176 C) oven).
- To assemble, top tortillas with black beans, plantains and desired toppings. The recipe has salsa, hot sauce, red onion, cilantro and jalapeño. Ripe avocado would also make a great addition.
- Best when fresh. Serves 3-4 generously (as original recipe is written).
*Make sure your plantains are deep yellow with brown spots and tender to the touch. Otherwise, their flavor won’t be as developed and they can be chewy in texture.
One thought on “Spicy Plantain Black Bean Tacos”
You must log in to post a comment.