For this month, I’d like to share recipes that celebrate my home state of Ohio and the Midwest! To kick things off, here’s a play on a “hearty” breakfast (the “slam” breakfast Denny’s).
4 thick slices Canadian bacon or deli ham
4 frozen whole grain waffles (We like Van’s Gourmet Multi-Grain. Each waffle packs 2.5 grams of fiber and just 95 calories.)
2 Tbsp maple syrup
4 Tbsp shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat a non-stick skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Coat with a bit of olive oil cooking spray and cook the Canadian bacon for a few minutes on each side, until well browned. Remove.
- Coat the same pan with a bit more spray and cook the eggs (2 at a time, if you must; avoid overcrowding the pan) sunny side up until the whites have set but the yolks are still runny.
- In the meantime, toast the waffles. Top each toasted waffle with a slice of meat, a drizzle of maple syrup, a sprinkle of Cheddar, and the warm fried eggs.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parsley (if using).
Eat This Tip
With a whole-wheat waffle as your base, you can build a slew of sweet and savory open-faced breakfast sandwiches. Try some of the options below…
- Peanut butter, sliced banana, sliced almonds, and a drizzle of honey
- Scrambled eggs, turkey, and guacamole
- Fresh ricotta or mascarpone cheese, sliced strawberries or figs, and agave syrup
One thought on “Savory Waffle with Ham & Egg”
You must log in to post a comment.