One of my all-time favorite things to order from Chinese restaurants, here is a new version of General Tso chicken using tofu! Jessicainthekitchen delivers yet another great Asian inspired recipe! Enjoy!
General Tso TOFU
- 1 lb block of firm tofu, pressed for 30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce, or liquid aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch sea salt and black pepper (about ¼ teaspoon each)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sesame or regular oil
GENERAL TSO SAUCE
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce, or liquid aminos
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch + 1 teaspoon water, stirred together
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- another 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- Whole chillis, to boil or ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a medium-size bowl place the pressed and cubed tofu. Add in soy sauce/liquid aminos and toss to coat. Add in the garlic powder, sea salt, black pepper and cornstarch and toss to thoroughly combine.
- Heat a pan or wok over medium-high heat, and add the sesame oil. When hot, add the tofu and toss to crisp up on all sides until the tofu is cooked and crisped on all sides, about 8 minutes.
GENERAL TSO SAUCE + PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
- In a pan over medium heat, heat the sesame oil. Add in the ginger and the garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes until fragrant and sizzling.
- Pour in all the other sauce ingredients (soy sauce, sugar, hoisin sauce, cornstarch slurry, sesame seeds, rice wine vinegar, water, vegetable broth), whisking together immediately to help incorporate the cornstarch slurry. Bring to a boil, then to a simmer for about 4 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken up. Whisk frequently so the cornstarch doesn’t thicken up in spots but instead mixes evenly throughout the sauce. Taste test and add more sugar if you want it sweeter. Remove from heat until needed.
- Add in the crispy tofu into the simmering sauce. Stir to coat the tofu fully in the sauce, then and allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes in the sauce.
- Remove from heat and top with extra sesame seeds and chopped scallions. Serve and enjoy!
You must log in to post a comment.