To start off the recipes for 2022, we’re going to feature soups! Here’s a great recipe – courtesy of allrecipes.com – for Cream of Broccoli Soup! Enjoy!
- 5 tablespoons butter or vegan butter, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cups chicken/vegetable broth
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (optional)
- 2 cups milk (oat or other plant-based milk)
- ground black pepper to taste
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium sized stock pot, and sautee onion and celery until tender. Add broccoli and broth, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. (Can add the milk here to avoid step 3).
- Pour the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a clean pot. Alternatively, you can use a stick blender and puree the soup right in the cooking pot. Season with pepper and serve.
(OPTIONAL STEP) In a small saucepan, over medium-heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter, stir in flour and add milk. Stir until thick and bubbly, and add to soup. Season with pepper and serve.
TIPS: This can be vegan with the options of vegan butter, vegetable broth and a plant-based milk. Add 1 tsp red pepper flakes for a spicy kick. Using a blender will be more creamy than the immersion/stick blender.
You must log in to post a comment.