This is a great alternative to dairy butter or even nut butters! I found this wonderful nugget of a recipe on prettypies.com. Enjoy!
No Dairy, No Nuts, What is it??
Coconut Butter is basically pureed coconut shreds and it makes AMAZING nut-free cheesecakes! It has a slightly sweet, cookie-like flavor and a very rich and creamy texture when melted. There is no 1:1 substitute for coconut butter! It is unique.
How to Make Coconut Butter
Add 2-3 cups of unsweetened coconut shreds to a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until liquified, scraping down the sides as needed.
EASY! Especially if you have a Vitamix – this takes me just around THREE minutes to make. A good blender should take less than 5 minutes, whereas a food processor may take 20-30 minutes. Quite the difference, but both yield the same result.
- Coconut butter naturally separates (the oil rises to the top), and should be melted and stirred EVERY time. Otherwise, the consistency isn’t right.
- To melt coconut butter, place the jar or packet in a bowl of hot water for about 10-15 minutes.
- *Never microwave coconut butter or it can seize and ruin.* (speaking from experience, ha.)
- When making homemade coconut butter, avoid old or stale shreds as they don’t work! You’ll just keep blending and blending but it will never liquify for some reason.
- If you make it immediately before making a recipe, it is already melted and ready to go.
- Any leftover coconut butter can be stored in a glass jar for several months in the pantry (no need to refrigerate.)
Where to Buy Coconut Butter
Don’t wanna make it yourself? (or don’t have a strong enough blender/food processor?)
Feel free to skip that step and buy coconut butter (aka coconut manna) from the grocery store or Amazon. Most major retailers carry it next to the nut butters. I like to get mine from Thrive Market because it comes in squeeze pouches that are easier to work with.
You must log in to post a comment.