Kicking off the recipes for this month – highlighting kneadygirl.com (I found her recipes on Instagram from a friend) – is a beginner recipe for Honey Oat Bread
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 1/4 Cups Boiling Water
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 Cup Warm Water
- 2 teaspoons Dry, Active Yeast
- 3 Cups Bread Flour
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, boiling water, honey, butter, and salt. Set aside to cool to 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the oats have cooled, combine the yeast and water in a cup. Let sit until foamy about 10 minutes.
- Add yeast mixture and 1 cup of flour to the oats and stir well. Continue adding flour until a soft dough begins to form.
- Turn out to a floured board and knead until soft and elastic.
- Place in an oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a tea towel and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and divide in half. Knead slightly and form into loaves.
- Place the dough into greased loaf pans.
- Allow to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the loaves in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until golden and sound hollow when tapped with a knuckle.
- Remove from pans immediately and cool completely on wire racks before slicing.